My Copy Cat Potato Express
Potato Express is an As-Seen-on-TV product that helps cook potatoes in the microwave fast and with a nice texture. It is a red pouch that holds moisture in as the potato cooks in the skin with no piercing. This gadget has gotten mixed reviews, with most people either loving or hating it. I love mine and haven't had any of the difficulties that some people have mentioned.
Here are some reasons I like using the Potato Express instead of another method of microwaving potatoes:
1) I don't need a potholder to take the hot potatoes out of the oven.
2) The pouch helps keep the potatoes warm for a while if I am not ready to use them.
3) It cooks faster than some other microwave methods I have tried.
4) The texture is consistently perfect.
5) Depending on the kind of potato used, the peel comes off easier than other methods.
6) It can be used several times before washing, and then it goes in the clothes washer.
7) It is attractive and does not take up much room in the kitchen.
After buying one Potato Express and seeing how well it works for me, I did of course want another for my vacation home. Before buying a second one, however, I decided to try making one from fabric scraps that I had on hand. I designed mine a little differently, using a drawstring for closure instead of a flap and I used a ribbed microfiber terry washcloth for inside padding. It worked!
SAFETY NOTE: If you decide to try this at home, do be sure the fabrics you use will resist catching fire and that your design allows you to pull the hot potatoes out of the oven without causing a steam burn.
Image Credit » I took this photo with my Samsung Note3 Smart Phone.