Brazil World Cup - First Round Summary
The World Cup has completed the Group phase matches and the sixteen teams that advance to the next round have been defined.
We had a great first phase, I have been watching the World Cup since 1978 and I think I haven’t seen such an exciting group phase ever . That is why the four-year wait is so worth it.
After forty eight matches are completed, we not prepare for the knockout stages, but before that, here are the most relevant occurrences so far, in my opinion, that is:
- Spain the World Champion get eliminated after just two matches.
- Costa Rica beats two World Champions Uruguay and Italy
- England, Italy and Portugal have a disappointed participation, being eliminated in the first round
- Algeria and Greece , qualify for the first time ever to the Round of 16, eliminating Russia and Ivory Coast respectively.
- Luis Suarez from Uruguay bites Italian player Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder during a match and gets ejected from the World Cup plus gets 9-matches and a 4-month ban.
- USA qualifies second in the so-called Group of Death, over Portugal and Ghana.
- The Netherlands , Germany , Brazil and Argentina show they are the strongest teams and remain the heavy favorite for the title.
- Colombia , Belgium , France and Chile also show great football and might give a surprise.
- Miroslav Klose from Germany ties the record of most goals scored in World Cups with Brazil’s Ronaldo, both have scored 15 goals.
- All Asian teams fail to qualify to the second round.
For you football fans out there is there any other relevant fact that should be included on this list? Let me know.
Happy Friday everyone.
© Original content by NBaquero 2014
Image Credit » http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/world-cup-soccer-photo-p250563
midastouch wrote on June 27, 2014, 7:50 AM
You have done well in the compilation. Let's keep the World Cup reports coming in daily
LadyDuck wrote on June 27, 2014, 8:39 AM
Italy is out, now I support Switzerland :)
nbaquero wrote on June 27, 2014, 9:59 AM
midastouch Thanks for your comment, I will do my best to do these reports.
nbaquero wrote on June 27, 2014, 10:03 AM
LadyDuck Good luck to your team, I told you to have both jerseys (the red and blue) on, remember?