Five Simple Ways to Make Healthier Food Choices
I am trying to take better care of myself and be more diligent about the healthy choices I can make where foods are concerned.
There are five simple changes that we all can make, that will help us all to eat a bit healthier:
1. Increase vegetable and fruit intake. By eating vegetables and fruits with lower calories, but high in nutrients, we eat more fiber. This fills us up and keeps us satisfied for a longer period of time. We must take care, however, to wash everything we eat, even melons. When we cut into them, we drag any bacteria on the outside to the flesh with our knives.
2. Eat more whole grains . The more refined the grain, the less benefit to our bodies. Whole grains give us more nutrients and, like fresh fruits and vegetables, keep us feeling full longer.
3. Eat foods without added sugar or salt. If you must add, use these two ingredients sparingly.
4. Limit the amount of saturated fats ingested in meats, cheeses and butter. Include more of the healthy fatty fish, nuts and olive oil.
5. Look at the ingredient list on all processed foods before buying them. There can be an incredible amount of sodium, fat and sugar in them. If these ingredients are listed at the top of the list, avoid them. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the list, then stay away from them either, as these are chemicals that you do not need.
We must become more aware of what we put into our bodies and allow our children to eat, as well. These simple changes may make a big difference.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
© Copyright 2015 Coral Levang - All Rights Reserved.
Adapted from the original, Healthy Food Choices Can Be Quite Simple , May 26, 2014 on Bubblews, and later removed by the author.
Coins: 6330, $9.50, 47%
Image Credit » https://pixabay.com/en/vegetables-garden-harvest-organic-790022/ by jill111