By in Personal

More Fun From a Past Weekend, Part Two - Saturday Scramble

So, Friday hadn't gone as planned , and it ended very, very late, indeed, as I was on the phone with Time Warner tech support until literally three o'clock in the morning. Still having no internet, I had two things that absolutely needed to be done the next day: I had to get a new modem--hopefully one that worked--from Time Warner, and I had to complete a mystery shopping assignment at a restaurant.

Problem was, Time Warner's Saturday office hours were only from 10am - 2pm, and the mystery shop had to be completed at peak lunch time, between 1145am - 115pm. Not only that, the restaurant was about an hour's drive away. I used my logic and figured I had window of an hour and a half on the front end and only 45 minutes on the back end, so I would definitely go get the modem first, then go straight to the shop, and then back home, or maybe to the tire, no, no...straight home, because I had to report my shop online, so I needed to get my modem up and running. I was going to bed at 3am, but I figured I would be fine if I could get up by 9 o'clock on Saturday morning.

Well...things continued to not go as planned.

I woke up at 6am, in pain from my pinched nerve. I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep, so I got up. And THEN I noticed something else that needed immediate attention--my cat, Spencer, was clearly having a problem with his eye. He was holding it about halfway shut, the haw (inner eyelid) was partially extended over it, and I could see blood in the iris. He had gotten a scratch or maybe some foreign matter in his eye.

Good grief! I was already cutting it close with the other two things (I could not reschedule the shop, and if I didn't make it to Time Warner, I would be out of internet service until Monday, at the earliest), but this was an urgent situation--cats' eyes are delicate, and I didn't want to risk permanent damage. I knew I wasn't going to go back to sleep this morning, but it was a good thing I got up early. I called my vet's office when they opened at 8am and asked if Spencer could be seen, and they said to bring him at 830. Even though they didn't have any appointments available, they would work him in.

Uh oh.

We've been "worked in" before, and it usually requires waiting for about an hour. Fortunately it wasn't THAT long, and Spencer had a great checkup. I was sent home with antibiotic eye drops for my furchild, and we made it back just at 10am--just enough time to release Spencer back into the safety of the living room and jump in the car, headed for Time Warner. I stood in line forever, it seemed, but I got my modem, and I made it--just barely--to the lunch shop.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I found that once again, the modem didn't work, so on my way to Best Buy to purchase a real modem, I stopped by the library and reported the shop. Of course I didn't have enough time to get my tire fixed, but at least I had a full-sized spare to ride on until I did.


Image Credit » by RyanMcGuire

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


MelissaE wrote on April 21, 2015, 9:25 PM

Some days are like that. I'm glad that events eventually worked out for you.

iwrite28 wrote on April 21, 2015, 10:45 PM

Hey, do share some experiences about being a mystery shopper too.

BarbRad wrote on April 22, 2015, 3:35 AM

I can relate. Our problems aren't identical, but they both involve an internet that doesn't work right and a lot of frustration because it wrecks our other plans.