Day 1 of 30-Day Song Challenge -- My Favorite Song Is...
Music has always been a major part of my life, as many of you already know. My father was a professional musician in Los Angeles, after we moved to California from Washington state in 1957, before I was even two-years-old. As well, my mother was a professional singer before she married my father. I, too, have made my living in music as a singer and musician, when I was in the Navy.
AliCanary challenged us with the 30-Day Song Challenge, Day One - Your Favorite Song. So, it just seems natural for me to take this one on. The bigger challenge for me is picking one selection for this first day or any day. Some songs might fit several different categories. So, I have so many that could be considered a favorite.
Tonight, I will honor my late father, who passed away just four weeks ago. It was because of him that I was introduced to the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, and one of the earliest recordings was by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto in 1964. I was nine and it was one of the first jazz songs I learned to sing...a Brazilian bossa nova, "The Girl from Ipanema." (The link is one of the earliest versions.)
This later version is probably one of my favorite versions, and you can hear the maturity in Astrud's voice. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QfXjsoNe4) Even Getz' sound is much smoother than the 1964 version.
At 26, it was also one of my audition tunes that I sang that resulted in my being accepted to the Navy Music Program.
Thank you, Dad, for the gift of music. And thank you, Ali, for the reminder for me to get back to some of my roots and that which has always made me the happiest.
Coral Levang © 2015 All rights reserved.
If you would like to take the challenge, the list is, as follows:
- Day 01 – Your favorite song -
- Day 02 – Your least favorite song
- Day 03 – A song that makes you happy
- Day 04 – A song that makes you sad
- Day 05 – A song that reminds you of someone
- Day 06 – A song that reminds of you of somewhere
- Day 07 – A song that reminds you of a certain event
- Day 08 – A song that you know all the words to
- Day 09 – A song that you can dance to
- Day 10 – A song that makes you fall asleep
- Day 11 – A song from your favorite band
- Day 12 – A song from a band you hate
- Day 13 – A song that is a guilty pleasure
- Day 14 – A song that no one would expect you to love
- Day 15 – A song that describes you
- Day 16 – A song that you used to love but now hate
- Day 17 – A song that you hear often on the radio
- Day 18 – A song that you wish you heard on the radio
- Day 19 – A song from your favorite album
- Day 20 – A song that you listen to when you’re angry
- Day 21 – A song that you listen to when you’re happy
- Day 22 – A song that you listen to when you’re sad
- Day 23 – A song that you want to play at your wedding
- Day 24 – A song that you want to play at your funeral
- Day 25 – A song that makes you laugh
- Day 26 – A song that you can play on an instrument
- Day 27 – A song that you wish you could play
- Day 28 – A song that makes you feel guilty
- Day 29 – A song from your childhood
- Day 30 – Your favorite song at this time last year
Image Credit » http://pixabay.com/en/jazz-concert-double-bass-music-191548/ by tatlin