By in Random

I'm Tired, But Free

It's been a long day away from home base today – a whole eight hours. I got my X-ray first. Then we went to San Luis Obispo for lunch. While we were waiting for the best prices to kick in, I walked around the parking lot and the street behind the restaurant and took photos.

After lunch, we went to my appointment with the surgeon. Once again he was happy with my progress and told me I no longer needed to wear the collar I got right after the surgery -- the one that I'm modeling in the picture here. That was great news. The doctor said I can do almost anything anyone else can do now, except he'd rather I didn't lift more than twenty pounds at once. I was really relieved to hear that, because I had broken the rules right before lunch.

We had gone into Radio Shack, where my husband made a purchase. Since I'd been taking a few photos in the parking lot, I still had my camera in my hand. Then my husband handed me his purchase, with no bag, of course, because they don't give bags in stores here anymore unless you pay extra for them. So I was carrying my camera on top of the box, and when I opened the car door, it fell about two feet under the car. Dropping the camera was bad enough, but kneeling down to reach for it and retrieve it broke a couple of rules about neck position and extending my arm.

At first the camera wouldn't open, but then I noticed the wheel at the top was between settings and I moved it in to the proper position and tried again. Fortunately it opened and was not broken. But my battery died before I think it should have. I thought it was freshly charged, but maybe it wasn't.

On the way to the doctor's the check engine light came on, and so after my appointment we went to the Volvo service center to find out what was wrong, since we were in the neighborhood. They were able to take care of it in only half an hour, so we waited. I took a short walk, hoping to get some photos, but after just a few the battery died, so I came back and read until the car was ready. Then it was on to Costco to shop.

On the way back from Costco, Hubby mentioned maybe we should stop at Trader Joe's, since we were out of his favorite (mine, too) cookies, and I did need a couple of other things. I was tired and really just wanted to go straight home, but those cookies were calling. So we did stop and I got the goat milk, apples, tangerines, and eggs, but, of course, they were out of the cookies. So we went home. We unloaded everything that had to go into the refrigerator and freezer and left the rest for tomorrow morning.

I'm tired, but glad to finally be back home and free of my collar and free of my restrictions. I can do housework and some gardening again, but I still have to ease into it. I'm hoping this chapter of my life is over and I can go on to the next one.

How was your day?

Pictures and content are original and may not be used without permission, B. Radisavljevic, Copyright 201 5 , All Rights Reserved

Image Credit » My husband took the picture at my request and I have permission to use it.

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


Soonerdad3 wrote on February 10, 2015, 11:36 PM

I am glad to hear everything is going well for you.

AngelSharum wrote on February 10, 2015, 11:49 PM

That is good news. I hope you keep feeling better and better. I didn't do much. I did manage my treadmill walk and I'm paying for that. Hurting everywhere.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 12:41 AM

Thank you. I guess my vacation is over.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 12:42 AM

Hope you feel better soon.

bestwriter wrote on February 11, 2015, 1:45 AM

This is called a success story. Was worth the wait and all that you went through emoticon :cool:

crowntower wrote on February 11, 2015, 4:32 AM

From this post I think your health is getting better and better, I hope nothing serious happens. I really love having that kind of life just taking pictures anytime you want. I think taking pictures is very comfortable and relaxing -- I guess depends on the subjects, but roads and scenery are the best to captivate on your lens. Hehehe. God bless you and your hubby.

BeckyWiegers wrote on February 11, 2015, 5:59 AM

As a newcomer here I don't know the details of your surgery but the feeling of freedom now must be glorious!

BeadDoodler wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:23 AM

I'm glad your check up went well. I know how frustrating restrictions can be. I'll always be limited to lifting no more than 25 lbs. but life's finally getting back to somewhat normal. Just don't push too fast. You'll get there.

carolscash wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:42 AM

Sounds like a busy day, but glad to hear the collar is gone and that you are doing well. Don't overdo it !

Carmelanirel wrote on February 11, 2015, 7:16 AM

Yay! Great news about the collar and I hope your camera is okay, I know how much you love taking pictures. I don't have a Costco near me, and the closest Trader Joe's is still a good drive away. I would love to go to Trader Joes, or the other popular store that has everything, Jungle Jims. Unfortunately the drawback to being in the country is the distance to these fabulous places to shop.

melody23 wrote on February 11, 2015, 7:32 AM

Oh that's great news, I bet getting out of that collar feels wonderful. But yes ease back into things, that was the mistake I made when I injured my back, I had nine weeks off work then went straight back like nothing had happened. needless to say I didn't last long before I was back off sick again for another ten weeks or so. I am also very glad that your camera seems to be ok, I love your photos.

Gina145 wrote on February 11, 2015, 7:43 AM

That's really good news. Just don't try to do too much too soon.

Ellis wrote on February 11, 2015, 8:29 AM

Great news...take things easy and work up to things...

Hollyhocks100 wrote on February 11, 2015, 8:33 AM

Take it easy Barb,you weren´t given all that advice for nothing. Don´t undo the surgery!

Feisty56 wrote on February 11, 2015, 9:37 AM

Hurray! That was quite a day you and hubby put in, but the positive news must have been a bit energizing to hear. : ) Hope your camera proves to be okay, too.

wolfgirl569 wrote on February 11, 2015, 9:49 AM

That is great to hear. Glad you are free again.

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on February 11, 2015, 11:35 AM

I was wondering how your Dr. appointment went. I'm glad it went better than everything else seemed to!

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 3:30 PM

Yes. I ran into someone who wasn't as fortunate yesterday and I hope to find time to tell his story today.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 3:33 PM

Actually, taking pictures is part of my exercise routine. I'm supposed to walk every day, and when I take my camera, I'm motivated. I can't just go anytime I want, though. I do have some other obligations, especially now that I'm back in business. Thank you .

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 3:33 PM

It is, thanks. The whole story of my neurosurgery is in my back posts. I had the surgery Dec. 5.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 5:58 PM

Thank you for the moral support.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:05 PM

I didn't do anything too strenuous today -- just tiring. But I've got enough soup in the crockpot now to last another two weeks. Still debating whether or not to go for a walk after being in the kitchen for two and a half hours.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:07 PM

Actually, our primary residence is in the country, but it's still only ten minutes from town. We don't have big department stores that big cities may have, but we have most of the good stores and farmers markets.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:15 PM

My X-rays indicated my next is strong again and I'm in no more danger than other people now of neck injury. I was probably in more danger for the last thirty years I spent making the decision to have the surgery than I am now. I have a steel rod protecting my cervical spinal cord now, whereas before it was exposed to the protruding bone spurs.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:30 PM

Don't worry. I'll stick to what's most important or just has to be done.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:31 PM

Thanks. I intend to do just that.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:33 PM

I think I'm safe from undoing the surgery, but it's always possible to injure something else if I don't think about what I'm doing.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:34 PM

The camera still takes pictures and I can still upload them. So I'm hoping no permanent damage was done.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:35 PM

It feels really good.

BarbRad wrote on February 11, 2015, 6:36 PM

Thanks. it almost feels good to be free to do housework again, almost.

Carmelanirel wrote on February 11, 2015, 7:21 PM

We are also only about ten minutes from town, but the town is not that big, I have to travel an extra 20 miles into the next county to get Kosher food for feasts and even then the selection is limited.

LilyDay wrote on February 11, 2015, 10:06 PM

That is good news.

Tuesday was a somewhat busy day for me.

allen0187 wrote on February 11, 2015, 11:04 PM

I'm glad that you are better now. What a relief to finally get rid of that collar eh? Good for you. Day is going well but it could get better. Hopefully, it does.

BarbRad wrote on February 12, 2015, 1:33 AM

I'm just glad Tuesday is over. We hadn't planned on that extra stop to fix the car.

WordChazer wrote on February 12, 2015, 1:45 PM

Phew. That's great news! Hope everything goes swimmingly from now on, just remember to take it easy at first.

Shellyann36 wrote on February 12, 2015, 2:58 PM

So glad your surgery was successful and that you are able to take that neck brace off. Those things are no fun. It sounds as if you had a very full day. Shopping alone can be so tedious. When you have to go to a doctor and then to a mechanic and then shop at two places it is very over-whelming. Coming home to unload and put away anything before it spoils is no picnic either. I look forward to hearing how your progress goes.

bleekley wrote on February 12, 2015, 8:09 PM

Take good care of yourself and don't take imprudent chances by carrying heavy loads. You're on the mend and soon you will be all better.

BarbRad wrote on February 13, 2015, 2:42 AM

Thanks. I'll wait awhile to start the heavy cleaning. But I may get my hands in the dirt.

BarbRad wrote on February 13, 2015, 2:43 AM

I did hate having to wear that collar. So nice to be able to travel without it.

BarbRad wrote on February 13, 2015, 2:47 AM

So far, so good. I actually got one Squidoo lens redone and posted to a blog tonight. I've pretty much stayed at the computer except for a short trip downtown to mail something and take a short walk.

BarbRad wrote on February 13, 2015, 2:48 AM

My body sort of tells me what to do and what not to do. It will take time to get the muscles back in shape for what they haven't done in two months.

AngelSharum wrote on February 13, 2015, 11:23 AM

I've had to take it easy for a couple days. The hike caused more trouble for me this time for some reason. Feeling a little better today.