Old wives tales that work
And now for something completely different ...
We have all heard of old wives tales and how they are said to cure everything from a wart to the national debt, but have you ever found any that actually work? I have and I swear by them, these are a few:
* If you burn your skin - run the burn under cold water for 5 minutes. Break off the tip of an Aloe plant and squeeze the sap onto the area. Sprinkle with Bicarbonate of Soda and you will find the pain instantly eases and its very rare to get left with a scar this way as well.
* When the kids come in with gum stuck to their clothes or even themselves there are two methods that work. First try rubbing a small amount of peanut butter on the gum - it will get it off most surfaces. If it is something that you worry may get a grease stain then either pop it in the freezer or rub with ice cubes and you can get it off that way. (peanut butter works in hair too)
* Newspapers are best when it comes to cleaning windows. There are only two materials I will clean windows with - newspapers are really absorbent and lamb cloths. (These are the white cloths that butchers have lamb delivered in - I don't know their real name but butchers will usually either give you a cloth or sell it). Use the cloth to wet and was the window and the newspaper to buff and you will have sparkling windows with half the effort
* One for the ladies definitely - there is a chemical in chocolate that will ease menstrual cramps - it is right it works and I know you love me lol. I was desperate with my youngest but a piece of chocolate really helps her.
* If, like me, you are prone to moving your furniture around and you find dents in the carpet from the furniture. Pop an ice cube on the dent and if you fluff the fibers it will be good as new
* Another furniture one I discovered works is that when I do (or did) move the furniture around it sometimes got scratched - the wooden furniture that is. My aunt told me to rub a walnut on it and I was gobsmacked as they say around here (very surprised) to find the scratches gone
* One from the mother in law - when you find pin holes in the walls after removing the Christmas (Yule) decorations you can get rid of them by rubbing a bar of soap over them - try to match colour of the soap if you can but even if you can't it will fill the hole and give it a few days and it will hide the hole.
* Kids will play up more on a windy day - don't believe me? Watch it for yourself - there are some that say it is because the chi gets stirred up - I don't know but I know its true.
* If you suffer from hay fever, before the season starts get yourself some local honey and have a spoonful a day - it will desensitize you to the pollen and this will either drastically reduce your symptoms or even stop them.
*If you want your candles to burn longer - sprinkle a little salt on the top of the candle before lighting and it will burn for a considerably longer time.
I'd better stop there or I would write a book - of course I know of hundreds of cures with herbs and minerals but that, as they say, is another story
What old wives tales have you found to be true? Or even which ones have you tried that are totally batty?
Image Credit » picture is my own and all rights are reserved