A Woman's Healing Herbs for Menstrual Cramps and Painful Periods...
I've had a poster in my kitchen for years entitled A Woman's Healing Herbs. A friend asked me for herbal treatments for painful periods as she unfortunately experiences them every month. I told her about the poster I had and promised to look through it for anything relevant. I sent her what I found. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone finds it useful:
For Menstrual Cramps...
1) Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) leaves and flowers --- tea, cream or ointment form. / (not to be used if pregnant)
2) Black Cohosh (Cmicifuga Racemosa) roots --- boil or simmer. / (avoid in preg.)
3) Sage leaves – use as tea. / (avoid in preg.)
4) Motherwort (Leonurus Cardiaca) leaves, flowers, stem --- use as tea. / (avoid in preg.)
5) Wild Yam (Dioscorea Villosa) roots – boiled or simmered – or get Wild Yam cream or ointment.
For Painful Periods...
1) Chinese Angelica (Angelica Sinensis) dried root --- also called Dang Gui --- boil or simmer / (avoid high doses if pregnant or if you’re diabetic)
2) Chamomile – tea or steam inhalation.
Hope it helps someone.
Image Credit » (marc falardeau - https://www.flickr.com/photos/49889874@N05/8610799203)